THE FIRST ‘HYBRID’ ESTATE AGENT IN THE UK
PurpleBricks Group Plc (LON:PURP) offer excellent customer service without the high street prices.Launched in April 2014 and now the fourth biggest estate agency group in the country.
Based on annualised instructions September 2015 and management estimates of competitor numbers.
Purplebricks was conceived by brothers Michael and Kenny Bruce from their experience in running a successful traditional estate agency in the Midlands.
This presented the opportunity for the development of a new lower cost model without the need for a branch network yet retaining the local expertise and personal service that an agent offers.
From October 2011 Michael and Kenny started work on the Purplebricks Group Plc proposition full-time, putting in place the technology, infrastructure and people to build towards a successful launch, which took place in April 2014. The technology platform sits at the core of the business and was designed and built in-house to provide a more convenient, transparent and cost effective process for selling, buying and letting a property.
Purplebricks now has a substantial national footprint. From its launch along the South Coast of England in April 2014 it has expanded across the country, most recently entering London and Scotland and entered the lettings market.
As of September 2015 the Directors estimate that the Company has become the fourth largest estate agency in the UK by fee paying customers at its current run-rate of instructions.
Prior to its fundraising on AIM, the business has been funded by the Bruce brothers together with a range of investors including Paul Pindar, DN Capital and funds managed by Woodford Investment Management Ltd.
It is estimated that annual UK estate agency fees amount to over £4.4bn. Purplebricks’ strategy is to build upon its market leading hybrid proposition and increase Purplebricks’ share of the UK estate agency market for both sales and lettings.
The attainment of the strategy is based on the following key pillars of the Purplebricks offer:
Traditional estate agents charge a fee on sales typically within the range of 1 to 3% of the sale price and average at over £4,000 (inc VAT). By contrast, the average Purplebricks’ fee is £1,080 (inc VAT).
LOCAL EXPERTS, PERSONAL SERVICE
Unlike other online operators Purplebricks operates a hybrid model, with a growing number of LPEs (165 as at 18 November 2015). The LPEs have detailed knowledge of their respective areas, visit the properties and provide valuations. Once instructed the LPEs provide support, advice and assistance throughout the sales process.
24/7 CUSTOMER SERVICE
The technology enables interaction 24 hours a day. Customers can instantly know what is happening with their property, they can book valuations, arrange viewings, see feedback from viewings, offers can be made and sales can be agreed, customers can get performance reports and can contact Purplebricks 24 hours a day. Approximately 70% of Purplebricks’ customer traffic happens when traditional agents are closed.
FOCUS ON TECHNOLOGY
Purplebricks has spent over four years developing and building its technology and has a team of developers who work on new features, maintenance and security. Purplebricks intends to continue to develop its offering, introducing new versions of its platform and assessing new and improved ways of accessing and operating the process of selling, buying and letting property.
BRAND AWARENESS AND TRUST
Purplebricks aims to increase brand awareness among UK homeowners, landlords, buyers and sellers as a trusted and effective alternative to high street agents and online competitors. Customer satisfaction and referral is critical to Purplebricks’ growth and the service is rated excellent by review website Trustpilot A/S (rated 9.4) with over 3,000 reviews from customers.
THE BUSINESS MODEL
INSTRUCTIONS CONVERT QUICKLY TO CASH
Purplebricks has a competitive and transparent, flat fee pricing structure of £665 plus VAT for a sale anywhere in the UK other than certain defined London postcodes, where there is a charge of £965 plus VAT. There are additional charges if the customer wants Purplebricks to undertake the viewings on their behalf, if they require an energy performance certificate, or a Rightmove premium display. The Company’s additional sources of revenue currently comprise fees from conveyancing, mortgage referrals and insurance.
The average Purplebricks’ fee including all other sources of income is £1,080 (plus VAT).
The customer can choose to pay upfront on instruction or they can delay the payment (at no additional cost) until the earlier of the sale of the property or ten months from instruction. The deferred payment is financed by Close Brothers Financial. Purplebricks is paid by Close Brothers the next working day. If a customer wishes to defer payment, they are required to use Purplebricks conveyancing services for the sale.
LOW AND FLEXIBLE COST BASE
The cost structure of the business is different to that of a traditional estate agent. First, the hybrid model does not require an extensive, fixed cost, leased, high street estate. Secondly, the LPEs typically operate under licence (89%) with fees payable upon instruction, rather than as an employee (11%) with the ability to employ or contract sub-licencees to grow their business. The marketing budget is in alignment with the strategy of consistent presence in the media such as television, and aims not only to build awareness but also to help maintain and extend the Company’s position as the market leader in the online sector.
- Government reveals new plans for shared ownership scheme - 18th October 2019
- Best areas for BTL investment during 2020 revealed - 16th October 2019
- What property crunch? Outside London, the housing market is doing just fine - 8th October 2019
- Tenant demand sustains UK rents at record high for fourth consecutive month - 1st October 2019
- Majority of private tenants happy to remain in rented accommodation - 24th September 2019
- 3-bed homes selling the fastest according to new data - 18th September 2019
- The 7 easiest ways to boost the value of your home - 12th September 2019
- August sees average rents rise across several regions - 4th September 2019
- Buyers defying seasonal trends and political uncertainty - 2nd September 2019
- Energy efficient homes growing in popularity - 29th August 2019
- A Portrait Of Moving Britain - 28th August 2019
- First-time buyer figures figures up across the UK - 22nd August 2019
- Parents pay up to 102% more to live by the best schools - 19th August 2019
- This is how much it now costs to buy a property in your area - 15th August 2019
- From finding the right estate agents to avoiding loads of fees, this is your complete guide to selling a property - 9th August 2019
- Foxtons losses mount as London home sales struggle - 2nd August 2019
- UK property: top tips to improve value of your home - 24th July 2019
- Wales comes out top for UK house price growth in Q2 - 17th July 2019
- Purplebricks ‘running rings’ round its corporate competitors in the UK - 10th July 2019
- Hybrid sector could reach 20-30% market share, says Purplebricks CEO - 5th July 2019
- Purplebricks Group PLC Future set to build on strengths - 3rd July 2019
- House prices rise in April despite London drag - 24th June 2019
- Purplebricks goes gold with Team GB partnership - 20th June 2019
- The best online estate agents in the UK 2019 - 18th June 2019
- Housing market set for summer revival as movers give up on Brexit ever happening - 11th June 2019
- UK housing market shows signs of life as mortgage lending rises - 6th June 2019
- Guide To Selling A House In Scotland - 30th May 2019
- Tips & Tricks To Help You Downsize On Your Next Move - 24th May 2019
- Purplebricks Group Plc Appoints interim CEO for its US business - 20th May 2019
- Hedgefund bets again on online agencies as it buys up Purplebricks stock - 15th May 2019
- The Cost Of Moving House – All You Need To Know And More - 13th May 2019
- Boost Good Vibes For Viewings - 8th May 2019
- Purplebricks Group Plc Trading and strategic update - 7th May 2019
- Purplebricks Group plc Group revenues in line with expectations - 7th May 2019
- Purplebricks Supports My Name’5 Doddie Foundation - 26th April 2019
- Purplebricks is hugely successful despite tumbling share price says analyst - 23rd April 2019
- Purplebricks now a ‘superbrand’ alongside Rightmove and best-known agents - 15th April 2019
- Purplebricks named one of Britain’s 20 ‘most relevant brands’ - 12th April 2019
- Making The Rightmove: Your Questions Answered - 9th April 2019
- Most affordable location to buy a home in the UK – lowest house prices in Britain are here - 4th April 2019
- Purplebricks ties up with online auction provider to give sellers lots of choice - 29th March 2019
- Purplebricks comes to Bathurst with David Chapman at the helm - 27th March 2019
- UK High Streets lose 1,200 estate agents in ONE year - 21st March 2019
- Purplebricks reveals another major sports sponsorship deal - 14th March 2019
- Purplebricks to donate £5 to charity for every home sold in Scotland - 8th March 2019
- Purplebricks take over crown as Storm’s new front of jersey sponsor - 6th March 2019
- Property sales in UK increased at beginning of this year, official data shows - 27th February 2019
- Top ten online agents’ market share now 5% of all new listings - 22nd February 2019
- Purplebricks Group Plc Update on trading & management - 21st February 2019
- Purplebricks Group plc Trading Update and Management Changes - 21st February 2019